Re: Topband: 5R8X - wow

To: Mark Lunday <mlunday@nc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 5R8X - wow
From: Kenneth Grimm <grimm@sbc.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 09:25:31 -0500
At one point near their sunrise, 5R8X was peaking about 5 db over S9 on my
European beverage .  My buddy George, N4UA, worked them about 15 minutes
before I did and I began to worry that I had missed the peak.  However,
their signal just kept building...but so did the pileup!  I got them finally
with a true 599+ at 0135Z.   Conditions were very good last evening.  I
managed to work RI1FJ on Franz Josef Land with a good 559 signal.  The
"Gentleman's Band" is known for relatively polite operating.  For instance,
there were several stations trying to work RI1FJ.  All were calling at once,
a la the usual 20mx tactic, but very quickly they reverted to only calling
when they were getting good copy.  Two new ones for me made for a very good
evening on top band.

73,

Ken - K4XL

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 8:56 PM, Mark Lunday <mlunday@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> As the gray line passed over their QTH, the signal went from a whisper to
> 579 on my inverted L.  Not much of a chance to work them with 100 watts,
> but
> it was nice to hear them.
>
> I DID work LZ1ANA just down the band during the 5R8X chaos, and Andy's
> signal was 599 amazing into NC.  Snagged him on the first call.  Go figure.
>
> One other observation - the ops on 160 sure seem disciplined.  It's like
> the
> exact opposite of 80M SSB.  Nice to hear.
>
> Mark Lunday, WD4ELG
> Greensboro, NC  FM06be
> wd4elg@arrl.net
> http://wd4elg.blogspot.com