Topband: Radios and contests

To: Group Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Radios and contests
From: rick darwicki <n6pe@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 08:46:00 -0800 (PST)
Weak signals on 160 are usually not a problem. I'd rather have an old S-40 on a
remote mountain in Montana than a K-3 here with S-8 noise.

Sure there are more guys with K-3s than $10,000 7800s, bet most are married.
You can only work a weak station if he has a good antenna, 160 isn't like 6m or
2m where low noise preamps help. It is amazing how many S-9 stations needed
repeats on my call when other very weak guys in MN and MT would answer 1st
time. It takes a pretty good location to have internal receiver noise a factor
in hearing weak signals on 160.

In the contest weak stations faded S-1 to S-9, calling them when they were on
the top of the QSB is probably a better idea than spending $10,000 on a radio
and hoping it will make a difference.

I installed an INRAD filter in my PRO III after the first night. Big difference
working weak stations next to strong but not really a magic bullet to hear
downtown Europe from So Cal. I worked a bunch of EU, AF, PAC last year, nothing
good this year.

Hearing the good DX is always a problem because as soon as it is posted to the
internet, some big gun calls CQ on that frequency, I noticed that a lot in CQWW
and the 160 contest..... great way to win !!!  hi hi

I've done the 160 contest when it was paper logging and I think this was the
worst year for 1, 2 and 4s ever. Didn't stay up late or get up early because
things seemed lousy.

269 QSOs 565 Pts  75 Secs = Weak Score of 42,375

Thanks to all that stayed with me

Rick, N6PE ORG CA
 I  thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted pay checks.
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK