Topband: Cat 6E Use for 160/80 meter Beverage Wire

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Cat 6E Use for 160/80 meter Beverage Wire
From: "KL7RA" <kl7ra@ptialaska.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 13:36:09 -0900
Hi Freddy

I can't answer your question directly but can report some results
using something other then twisted two wire or WD-1A for reverse
Beverages.

I found a 500 foot spool of lamp cord. This was not two wire zip
cord but the three wire cord with a very tight twist. I think sold for
shop lights.

I got very poor results in the reverse direction using two wires going
or two wires coming back or one wire just floating. As Herb mentioned
the wire impedance may have been too far off for the transformer or
the transformer/reflector module had a problem. It still seems to me this
three wire twist should have worked but it didn't.

----- down hill

Some time back I asked if going down hill with a Beverage works.
Mixed reports as can be expected. I built two 500 ft beverages this fall
both going down hill, maybe a 75-100 foot grade. Both work excellent,
with signals that pop out of the noise when switching from the full size
vertical. I also built another but this one didn't work well. This grade
was very steep, 200 feet but I didn't take the time to prove it was the
grade that was too steep or something else wrong.

73 Rich KL7RA
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK