Re: Topband: 80m quarter wave on 160m... can support guys be used to pro

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 80m quarter wave on 160m... can support guys be used to provide capacitance loading?
From: Cormac Gebruers <ei4hq.mail@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 05:36:19 +0000
All,

Thanks for the comments & suggestions.

The current solution is built using a 6m telephone pole topped by a 12m
spiderbeam pole with a 1m whip addition. This approach has survived the
worst weather has thrown at it but the price for that is it is very bendy at
the top - there is no way it'll support an isolating coil for 80m nor top
hat capacitance wires. I've tried top hat wires using very light gauge wire
and it's a non runner.

The fundamental issue for me (from a practical standpoint) is mechanical
survivability. As EI7BA will testify, we get hammered here by North Atlantic
gales in the Winter. If the antenna doesn't stay up, then I can't work
anything at all :-)

The antenna is a good performer on 80m, but base loading it on 160m has led
to pretty poor results so far. I think I need to re-engineer the existing
design so I can insert an isolating coil at the top and attach top load
wires...

BR & HNY to all
Cormac, EI4HQ