Re: Topband: Any ideas on the legal outcome here?

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Any ideas on the legal outcome here?
From: Dave Heil <k8mn@frontiernet.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 19:15:39 +0000
A business which holds patents is able to protect itself from financial
harm from competitors if it can demonstrate that a competitor is
infringing upon its patent.

An individual is free to make, for his own use, a thing which is
patented by a company without fear of being sued by the patent holder.
Anyone who chases DX on the low bands and who wishes to homebrew a
product produced by anyone, may do so.

Keep in mind that anyone may sue anyone over just about anything.
Filing a lawsuit is not a win.

Dave Heil K8MN

On 12/28/2010 17 19, Cecil Acuff wrote:
> PDS Electronics Inc. or more commonly know as DX Engineering or more
> commonly known as W8JI. (all in the public domain) I guess Tom feels Lee's
> product design is a copy of his product design marketed through DX
> Engineering.
>
> Lee's is significantly different in that it uses Hi Impedance amplifiers at
> the antennas that usually eliminates the need for ground radials and helps
> improve the performance bandwidth.
>
> Ultimately I guess this will be a battle between Array Solutions and DX
> Engineering but the root is as mentioned above is my guess.
>
> Hard to guess the outcome...problem is someone always gets hurt in these
> kind of things.
>
> I wish them both the best and hope a solution that will benefit the Amateur
> Radio community will result.
>
> Cecil Acuff
> K5DL

-----