Re: Topband: Boring Report - December

To: "GEORGE WALLNER" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>, "Topband Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Boring Report - December
From: "Thomas Hoeppe" <thomas.hoeppe@asamnet.de>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 08:51:09 +0100
Hello George,

I can fully confirm what you reported. Everybody is just waiting for the
others. I started 160m DX from my home QTH last winter with a very simple
setup. I am QRV nearly every QRL-day in my "breakfast slot" before getting
off, from about 03.30-03.55 UTC. (If I don't have to dig snow).  Early
enough for some US being still awake. If you have just a short timeslot, you
have to attrack attention that you are QRV. I use to be QRV in ON4KST chat.
Last winter, when I informed that I am CQing to check conditions, there were
always people listening to me if there is propagation. This winter, you can
watch discussions on the chat about things having often nothing to do with
160m. Informing that you are CQing for test mostly shows no reaction. You
seem to disturb the discussions about TV programms when boring with a 160m
oriented spot. The only chance you have is getting listened by the 2-3
stations on the east-coast who still listen themselves on the band and
getting spotted in the cluster. Yes, you read right: 2-3 stations. That's my
opinion. Check the cluster! There are so much 160m stations in the US, but
only a handful are watching the bands, turning over the band and spotting
stations. If you are lucky to be found by those precious boys and getting
spotted, you mostly will work a couple of stations that follow. If not, you
have another day with a warm shack.
I wonder why there are only so few US stations calling CQ? From East Coast I
only remember George this winter....all others seem to wait that somebody is
sending a cluster spot.
BTW: If we work 160m after sundown from DL0AO, situation to JA is totally
different. You can be 100% sure that you get found and spotted if there are
conditions!
I have some possible explanations:
- The lack of outstanding conditions this winter results in desinterest to
check if there are at least good conditions. Too much people have reached
nearly everything, and need those perfect conditions for possible new ones.
But ey...there are beginners out there, being happy about every DX! If all
those feed up stations on 160m who need  perfect conditions to switch on the
radio, 160m will become unattractive for the masses...and you will become
lonely...also in perfect conditions.
- Most interested DXers use the European big-gun beacons to check
conditions. There are a few very big stations in Europe, being QRV
regularly. Those use the same QRG every day, and make an easy way to check
conditions. No need to call CQ oneself, if he shows up with lets say only
S5. But again: If you find him S9 one day, you will be lonely as all others
have given up!

So I wish some more find their way to the radio, even if everything in
Europe is worked. A lot of people are collecting for WAS. I myself need to
work Idaho, but I am happy about every DX I get from home-QTH. I have states
where I worked  15-20 different stations, but I still lack of QSLs...

My 2 cents....Tom, DJ5RE

PS: My QTH is "Kingdom of Bavaria"....the land where the beer comes from.
That's far more then "just DL".