Re: Topband: First attempt at beverage antenna, not working as expected

To: Mark Lunday <mlunday@nc.rr.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: First attempt at beverage antenna, not working as expected
From: Mike Waters W0BTU <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 22:09:24 -0800 (PST)
When you first drive in a ground rod, it does not make contact with the area
near the surface very well. The area near the surface is more important than
what is happening farther down, as far as RF is concerned.

I even poured some wet Epsom Salts down in the gap besides that rod. People
will
tell you it is a waste of time, but it absolutely worked for me on my type of
soil.

I forget how often, Mark. I think it depended on when rain washed it away. The
performance would fade, and a fresh application instantly restored it.

Epsom Salts is cheap. Let us all know how it worked for you, if you decide to
go
that route rather than radials.

73,
Mike Waters