Re: Topband: Need help identifying RFI source

To: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro@k4ro.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Need help identifying RFI source
From: Rob Stampfli <rob@cboh.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 14:28:47 -0500
On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 08:20:35AM -0600, K4RO Kirk Pickering wrote:
> I have been plagued recently by a noise source which is
> wiping out signals on the 160m and 80m bands. It is 20dB
> louder on my SW Beverage than any other direction.
>
> The noise is intermittent, and comes on for roughly 10-15
> minute intervals, and when it goes off, it is completely
> quiet for another roughly 10 minutes. The amplitude peaks
> are at approximately 20-30 kHz intervals, an seem to vary
> somewhat with frequency. I can hear the noise from about
> 1600 to 4200 khz. It's really hurting my 80 and 160 meter
> reception. Here is what the noise sounded like this morning:
>
> http://www.k4ro.net/k4ro/audio/QRN_Jan24_2011.wav
>
> Before I start hunting, I wonder if anyone has heard this
> type of noise before, and might be able to identify it?
> Thanks for any suggestions.

>From your description, I strongly suspect it is a high efficiency
furnace -- most likely caused by either the inducer motor or a DC
blower motor.  I've heard of numerous complaints about this recently,
some even on this list, and have a friend who is being plagued by
his own new furnace, which is essentially wiping out his HF
capabilities.

Do you have a neighbor who perchance has installed a new furnace
recently, perhaps just before the new year in order to take advantage
of the expiring tax credit?

Rob / KD8WK
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK