Re: Topband: To Topband Contesters ( 1 Day After)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: To Topband Contesters ( 1 Day After)
From: Sam Morgan <k5oai.sam@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 20:14:13 -0600
There has been a thread on another list mentioning folks inability to zero beat
the station they were calling. I think it may be more a case of this narrow
filters being used. I managed to get a number of contacts that would not
respond
to my zero beating their cq's. After a couple of tries I would then call about
100-150hz up or down from their frequencies. It's gotten to be a habit for me
try that technique almost all the time, if I really want to make the contact.

Then again with 100w out the K3 and 6w ERP off the Hi-Q 6/160 @ 20'. you do
what
you can to trick your way into completing the Q. ;-)

GB & 73
K5OAI
Sam Morgan

On 2/2/2011 12:27 PM, bruce whitney wrote:
> K8OT I guess I will break my code of silence on this issue. I haven't really
> been at this too long - but you might want to keep in mind that with the
> extreme conditions of this contest I was running my receive BW down as low as
> 20 to 100 HZ many times. I would try and widen it up - just to get clobbered
> and not be able to hear anything but extremely strong signals. I also would
> wiggle my RIT around a bit - but it is certainly conceivable that somebody
> responding to a CQ - if not zero beat - could get missed - at least for a few
> cycles maybe. Bruce W8RA

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK