Topband: WEB SDR's

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: WEB SDR's
From: HA0DU Steve <ha0du@dx.hu>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 19:43:07 +0100
Gentlemen,

My 2?.

This is nothing new. The rumour says contesters have been using USA/EU
SDR's extensively for a long time. I cannot prove anything, so don't sue
me.
Just to check it I connected to W4MW (I think it was) SDR the other day
and wheew I heard C6AGU working USA at about 1030 UTC. Obviously it is a
lot easier than building and maintaining long receiving antennas. My
feeling is that the availability of the modern technology is a
temptation which many cannot resist. But they say they are only using
what is available - so tell me why someone operates such a system if the
outcome is not accepted well? Earlier these SDR's had a built-in delay
and I think an obligatory (ar at least recommended) 1-minute delay would
solve the cheating problem but still would leave the door open for any
other experiments.

73 Steve HA0DU

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK