Topband: T30RH on 160m

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: T30RH on 160m
From: "Jacek SP5DRH" <jacek@sp5drh.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:52:16 +0100
Dear Top Band Fellows,

Two days ago, me and Jacek T30AQ finally reached ours homes. T30AQ/T30RH
project is over now.

As in 2009 on Fiji, we put a lot of attention  to 160m band. First results:
total number of QSOs made was close to 13k, while on 160m 960 QSOs. Among
those 960 QSOs we noticed more than 60 QSO with Europe (excluding Ukraine
and European part of Russia). Due to very bad propagation on low bands
(especially on 160m) the number of QSOs on 160m was much lower than we
expected. Propagation wasn't our supporter as it was in case of Fiji
project; Aurora on level 10, solar wind over 600, made kind of horror on
160m, furthermore, passat wind blowing 24/7 was making it very difficult for
any antenna to work. Same wind destroyed several times our TB antenna.
Sometimes it was blowing with 7 in Beaufort scale (SP5EAQ is also yacht
captain, so he knows when he says "its seven" ).

But these were not the only troubles; two of places booked on Tarawa did not
suit our needs, so since we had come to Tarawa we started to look for better
place. Finally, we landed in the same place where N1MEC and OK guys as T30R
were transmitting from, on small island called Abatao.

So with USA was 450 QSO (including KV4FZ, KH6, KH2, KP4), with JA-250 QSO,
Asiatic Russia 35-QSO, European Russia 67 QSO, Ukraine 22-QSO, OH-14 QSO, DL
5-QSO, OZ-5 QSO, SM-5 QSO, YL-4 QSO, SP-4 QSO,  HA-4 QSO, LA-3 QSO, LZ-3
QSO, GM-3 QSO,  OM-2 QSO, IT9-2 QSO, 4X4-2 QSO  and one QSO with OE, ON, G3,
A4 . No QSO with PA, E7, S5 where, we know, are a few powerful stations.

The most fascinating was morning when logged within few minutes  GM3YTS,
GM3POI, GMOGAV and G3PQA.

As equipment I was using 18 tall top loaded vertical with CWS adapter with
two resonated radials along to the lagoon shore, K3 with HK 1,1KFX and micro
HAM USBIII interface. All QSOs were received using transmitting antenna,
there was no space for any RX antenna. Level of noise was fantastic low as
S=0, S=1 but atmospheric crashes noise was from S=7 to S=9 plus 10dB!
Without 100HZ filter I was not able to read any station, well maybe only the
strongest ones. The noise level did not allow to speed up rate and pushed me
to keep my speed on level 16-18 WPM. As I said on web page, I don't like
"tail ending", not many operators know how properly use this tool. In most
cases they make QRM only. Other problem was with all these "fast guys",
sending to me calls with speed of 30 WPM. What's more each of  those "speedy
Gonzales" was dropping his call one time only. They made me sick, they were
causing additional QRM only. I do understand, when station is calling with ,
say, 16 WPM, is trying to say "same speed to me, please" I don't fill like a
CW best operator, but can read faster than 16 WPM but in this situation,
when collecting calls was taking minutes, higher speed just destroyed your
attention and your rhythm. All QSO's are already load on LoTW.

I am not fully satisfy with results of this dx-pedition, but still have hope
that made few Guys happy with new ones.

So, if  you don't mind hear you form another strange place.

73

Jacek SP5DRH/T30RH

SP5DRH/T30RH

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK