Re: Topband: Tower Shunt Feed

To: "Jerry Keller \(K3BZ\)" <k3bz@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Tower Shunt Feed
From: "K4IQJ" <k4iqj@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 13:54:37 -0500
Jerry,

I have a similar configuration only not as tall.
I have a 40' universal aluminum tower with a 3EL Steppir on top with
ungrounded elements and a 20' vertical extension above the beam.
I shunt feed it with a 35' arm of 1/2" copper pipe about a foot off the
tower and an omega match.  I can resonate it on 80 and 160.
I use it mainly on 80 here and can tune it across the full 75/80 M band with
one of the old heathkit motorized capacitors.  It works great
on 80 and less well on 160.  My Inverted L seems to do better on 160 at this
location.  I have not tried to ground the steppir elements here.

Before we moved, I had the same tower with a Mosley PRO67C3 on top with the
same shunt feed setup.  At that location (only about 1 mile away) it worked
great on both 80 and 160.  I think the smaller top load of the Steppir makes
a difference on 160.

I have 30+ radials here of widely varying lengths.

Dick, K4IQJ...