Re: Topband: 160m vertical with "top loading"

To: k3bu@optimum.net,topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m vertical with "top loading"
From: "GeorgeWallner" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 19:28:28 -0400
On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 16:05:24 +0000 (GMT)
  k3bu@optimum.net wrote:
> On the subject of resonant loaded radiator - element
>please see my article at
> http://www.k3bu.us/loadingcoils.htm
> it took me some 40 years to realize wasaaap with loaded
>elements - current distribution and efficiency.

Yuri,

Regarding the current in a loading coil, of course you are
correct. A inductor inserted into a vertical will have
higher voltage (ref to GND) on its "upper" end. If the
current remainded the same as on at "lower" end, there
would be more power on the "upper" end. Not likely.

Another way to look at this is that the inductor is part
of a Pi network, the two capacitors being the two halfs of
the antenna. At the top is the higher impedance port,
where, for the same power (discounting losses), the
voltage is higher and, by definition, the current is
lower.

Any one of us who has ever touched the top portion of a
center loaded mobile whip during transmit can attest to
that higher voltage!

TKS for the excellent paper,

73,

George, AA7JV