Re: Topband: 160 metre vertical with 'top loading'

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 metre vertical with 'top loading'
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 10:16:53 -0400
> A current decrease (meaning less current at one end that at the other)
> is not a loss, and it's far from being unexplained.

A good starting point is here.  Specifically, scroll down to: "Why the Net
Current is not Constant Through a Loading Coil?"

http://www.w5dxp.com/current.htm

It's easy to fall back only to lumped analysis of Kirchoff's Law and assume
that current into an inductor must equal the current out of the inductor,
absent loss.  But I don't believe Kirchoff's Law takes into account standing
wave current and has resulted in intense debate about RF current
distribution through loading coils as well as whether or not the
distribution "replaces" the missing physical part of the vertical radiator.

It comes down to using the right laws for the right application.  The laws
have their limits based on application.

Paul, W9AC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK