Topband: water saturated ground effect

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: water saturated ground effect
From: BRYON PAUL n0ah VEAL <bryonveal@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 18:31:55 -0600
On my Cushcraft MA160V, the resonant SWR point has lowered from almost 5:1  to
1:1 without the Amidon unUn in line.  All 26 of the buried radials are
attached.  The main difference is that the normally dry ground is saturated
from 6 inches of rain in the past two weeks.  Can the water saturated soil
really make this much of a difference?  The last time this antenna showed this
good of an SWR, was when I had no radials attached, in dry dirt, as expected-
Of course attaching radials only began to show the true impedance mismatch,
thus the need for the Amidon UnUn to match the coax to the antenna- Bottom
line, the antenna is acting like I disconnected the radials, which are very
much intact- My guess is that as the soil drys out, my SWR at sresonance will
once again rise, and i will need the UnUn again for matching reasons- does this
sound right>?

73  Paul  N0AH

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK