Re: Topband: water saturated ground effect

Subject: Re: Topband: water saturated ground effect
From: Roger D Johnson <n1rj@roadrunner.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 13:04:10 -0400
On my Cushcraft MA160V, the resonant SWR point has lowered from almost 5:1 to
1:1 without the Amidon unUn in line. All 26 of the buried radials are attached.
The main difference is that the normally dry ground is saturated from 6 inches
of rain in the past two weeks. Can the water saturated soil really make this
much of a difference? The last time this antenna showed this good of an SWR,
was
when I had no radials attached, in dry dirt, as expected- Of course attaching
radials only began to show the true impedance mismatch, thus the need for the
Amidon UnUn to match the coax to the antenna- Bottom line, the antenna is
acting
like I disconnected the radials, which are very much intact- My guess is that
as
the soil drys out, my SWR at sresonance will once again rise, and i will need
the UnUn again for matching reasons- does this sound right>?
> 73  Paul  N0AH

My EZNEC model of the MA160V shows a feedpoint Z of approx 6.2 Ohms at Fr=1825
kHz.

73, Roger

Remember the Liberty (AGTR-5)

http://www.usslibertyveterans.org/