Re: Topband: Testing for common mode noise

To: wd8dsb@aol.com, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Testing for common mode noise
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 07:33:11 -0400
You won't believe what I found last night in the latest edition (5th edition)
of the ON4UN Low-Band DXing book related to my proposed common mode noise test.

Page 7-109 discusses using a battery powered receiver, and connecting the
receiver to the antenna using a "very short piece of coax" in order to
determine the influence of the feed line on null depth, and this same section
also mentions "trash" injection into the antenna via common mode coupling from
the feed line (I personally have been using the term "noise" to be what ON4UN
calls "trash").

I sure feel the above mentioned information from the ON4UN book supports my
general concept of eliminating the feed line in order to understand the
magnitude of feed line common mode current problems (be it poor null, or
"trash" caused by common mode current on the feed line).  From a scientific
standpoint it's the logical approach.

(Note : powering the radio with a battery is an important part of the proposed
test)

Just FYI,
Don (wd8dsb)
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK