Re: Topband: why radials? K8UR or 4SQ array

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: why radials? K8UR or 4SQ array
From: Rik van Riel <riel@surriel.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 21:27:35 -0400
On 08/26/2011 07:44 PM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:

> this K8UR system don´t need radials!, and have more gain than the
> traditional 4 square, so my question is why I will spend $$$$$ to upgrade
> from K8UR system to a 4 square if it have less gain?

Don't.

A 4 square array is very useful for people without 200 foot
antennas, and with space for radials.

If you have exceedingly poor soil and more vertical space
than radial space, an array of vertical dipoles may simply
make more sense for your installation.

I plan to build two arrays of vertical dipoles too, suspended
from my trees.  These will be for 40m and 80m, with the ends
of each dipole "folded over a little", double L style.

This beats verticals in my qth, since I don't have quite
enough space for radials and the soil is very poor.  Lifting
the point of maximum current off the ground is simply the
better option for my yard.

It sounds like the same is true for you.

--
All rights reversed.
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK