Re: Topband: Fence "ground screen" instead of wire radials?

To: garyk9gs@wi.rr.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Fence "ground screen" instead of wire radials?
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 10:38:41 -0400
Before tackling the last question, it needs to be pointed out that 60 evenly
spaced 1/4 wave radials on the ground, and many (most) antenna wags would
say that placing chicken wire should not make any measurable difference.
 The radials would have already accomplished the only task at issue.

What is quickly becoming evident now that I and others are looking for
accounts bearing on this, that there are only two kinds of radial systems:
1) uniform AND DENSE,    2) everything else...irregular length OR spacing,
OR sparse.

1) is what the big signals are using, and 2) is everybody else.  Performance
very quickly falls off the table as you move away from UNIFORM and DENSE.
 When you are in category 2) adding SHORT chicken wire radials will make a
significant change in efficiency, evidenced by improving gain narrows
bandwidth, because the radials themselves NOT being uniform and dense are
quite more lossy than hammy gossip would lead us to believe.

I would say that if you are happy with the chicken wire experience, and the
longevity you report, to forget the radials, since you don't seem to be
interested in putting down 60, and just cover the area with chicken wire.
 EITHER ONE would be dense.  And the business of which one goes on top
simply doesn't matter.

You certainly CAN verify that in your back yard. The narrowness of the SWR
will measure your dirt losses for you, narrow = better.  Carefully record
the SWR curve with every change, and you can watch the effectiveness of what
you do.  Please DO report the results here and on the Antennaware reflector
if you do.

73, Guy.