Topband: coax cable counterpoise

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: coax cable counterpoise
From: Bob Kupps <n6bk@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 18:32:43 -0700 (PDT)
Hi when I lived in the Mojave desert I fed my 70' crank up tower as a folded
monopole on 160m and used 8 radials made from electric 1/4 waves of old coax
cable laying on top of the ground. The center conductors of the radials were
fed with the shield of the feed line and the radial shields all connected back
at the center to the DC tower ground. The far ends of the radials were left
open and therefore reflected a direct short back at the center ends. This
seemed very effective and I had good results even running 5 watts in contests.

Anyway I now live in northern Thailand and am planning a full size 4 square
array built over a flooded rice paddy which is about the opposite to my
previous QTH in ground conductivity. I want to farm the land as much as
possible however so am considering some type of elevated counterpoise instead
of ground radials, possibly using only 1-3 tuned coax radials as a counterpoise
for each vertical.

Any thoughts on this approach?

73 Bob HS0ZIA
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK