Topband: Tower detuning dilemma

To: "TopBand" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Tower detuning dilemma
From: "David Raymond" <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 13:41:18 -0500
I have an issue involving tower detuning for the wisdom of the group.

I have a 190' Rohn 25 tower which supports a 160m four square and, nested
inside of that, an 80m four square.  The elements are full length, conventional
ground mounted wire verticals supported by catenary ropes.  The arrays are
sitting on top of a fairly substantial copper radial field.  I initially had
the 160m array in K8UR configuration (bent dipole or lazy Vee).  While the
array performed OK I was disappointed with the f/b ratio (about 12 db f/b
measured, confirmed by EZNEC).  I subsequently reconfigured the array to ground
mounted verticals and saw a substantial improvement in f/b (also confirmed by
EZNEC).  I was seeing about 16 db or 17 db f/b.

EZNEC also showed that by eliminating the bottom 100' of tower (detuning) I
could improve the f/b ay about another 5 db.  I mounted a side arm at the 100'
level on the tower and ran a #18 Copperweld wire spaced about 12' from the
tower down to a control box at the four foot level.  I resonated the wire with
about 86 pF of capacitance.  My f/b improved by the predicted 5 db showing
about 22 db f/b.

All was well for several years.  Sometime in the past 12 months I noticed about
a 14 db drop in the f/b for the array.  I did a number of things including
inspecting each element, the coax feeding the elements, measured power dumped
to the dummy load, etc.  I finally replaced the Comtek controller with a spare.
 In the process of installing the spare controller I left the ground return
wire from the detuning network loose.  I noticed I had my original 17 db f/b
ratio back.  When I connected the ground wire of the tuning network I lost
about 10 db of f/b.  As soon as I remove the ground side of the detuning
network, I pick up the lost 10 db of f/b.  The situation is the same with both
the original and spare controllers.

I looked further, suspecting maybe something like an open or partially open
shield on a coax connector or perhaps a problem with the ground radial system.
Everything seems to be normal.  Further inspection shows that the connectors
are all tight and coaxes are normal.  Just to make sure I unscrewed all coax
connectors and reinstalled them.  Connections between the elements and radial
system are all solid.

I have good continuity up through the detuning wire and down through the tower
(maybe an ohm or two).  Anyone have an idea what might be going on?

73. . Dave
W0FLS
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK