Re: Topband: Using a DX-Engineering 80m vertical as part of an inverted

To: WA8JXM <wa8jxm@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Using a DX-Engineering 80m vertical as part of an inverted L on 160?
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 19:10:38 -0400
Part of the mechanical problem of this is that two back guys to the
top of the vertical, and then the wire pulling away horizontal, exert
a downward compression force on the vertical, to the tune of 20 or
more pounds if there is a wind blowing.  Visualize a bowling ball or
two on top of the vertical.  It can be done, but it's touchy and makes
the vertical a lot more fragile than if only used as engineered.
Designers were considering the only weight involved was the vertical
itself.

73, Guy.

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:20 AM, WA8JXM <wa8jxm@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone has used a DX-Engineering 80m vertical as the
> vertical part and the support for a 160m inverted L, connecting the rest of
> the required length to the top.
>
> Of course there would have to be one or two guys to counteract the pull of
> the horizontal part of the L.    Seems like a reasonable way of getting a 65'
> vertical support.
>
> On a related note, how much real difference would a 65' vertical section make
> vs a 40' one (total radiator length being the same?)
>
> Although an eighth wave vertical portion seems like it would be worthwhile, I
> have to wonder if in the real world it would make a significant difference
> vs. a 40' vertical section.
>
> Tnx,
> Ken WA8JXM

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK