Topband: Beverage terminations (was BOG wire)

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Beverage terminations (was BOG wire)
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 14:38:47 -0500 (EST)
Over the last 20 or 30 years, the military spent many millions of dollars on
research, development and installation of highly directive Beverage HF
receiving systems using large arrays of Beverages.  The largest HF Beverage
array I'm aware of is still in use every day; it consists of 128 Beverages, 220
feet long and four feet high.  Signal processing is performed by many SDRs.

Researchers found that that the most stable all weather Beverage termination
(especially in very dry weather) is a ground mat, similar to KM1H's experience
with verticals.  The least expensive ground mat is chicken wire.  They
installed a chicken wire ground mat at each end of the 128 Beverages, each mat
is about 6 feet wide and roughly 1/4 wavelength long at the lowest frequency of
interest.

73
Frank
W3LPL