Re: Topband: Daisey Chained ground rods

To: "Richard \(Rick\) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>, <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Daisey Chained ground rods
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 08:21:51 -0500
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
To: <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Cc: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2011 12:11 AM

> On 11/19/2011 9:50 AM, Herb Schoenbohm wrote:
>> Is there any cause for concern hooking two grounds together for separate
>> Beverages?   I have a a single wire Beverage that runs 600 feet to the
>> East and and another that runs 600 feet to the West.  The ground rods
>> are 6 feet apart.  I use spiders on both 4x 30' and earth is moderate to
>> good conductivity as a former hay field now covered with high grasses..
>> Is there any advantage or disadvantage from connection of the two ground
>> rods  together with a #8 bare copper jumper?
>>

>> Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ
>
> If you are selecting only one beverage at a time with relays, then
> you can use a common ground for them, because the unused one doesn't
> create any current in the ground.  I have been doing this for years.
> If you currently have separate grounds, you might as well aggregate them.
>
> Rick N6RK

Im a bit confused as to how this setup is configured, are they parallel or
in series? Current thinking is that 6  isolated grounds are required. One
each for the far terminations, feed end antenna windings and each isolated
coax.  The coax shields can float and be grounded back at the house or at
least 30' away from the antenna end transformer ground.

I tried a common ground for the feed end transformer for two 2 wire
Beverages that were at 45 degree angles angles but the noise pickup was
intolerable. I shortened one by 30' with its own ground system and the F/B
is good again.

Its possible that a real good RF ground would react differently. In my case
there were two 4' angled ground rods and a total of 8 radials over very poor
ground. Perhaps if I used bare copper wire and buried each radial it would
be better but Im using insulated wire just sort of laying on leaves and low
ground cover growth.  Since a 600' BOG run that way doesnt seem to be
bothered much by the ground I can "assume" the radials act the same.

Carl
KM1H

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK