Re: Topband: Inverted L

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 09:22:29 -0500
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
To: <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:12 AM

> > What is more, it has the same low loss and similar power handling
> > capabilities as RG-213/U. http://vk1od.net/transmissionline/RG6/
>
> While that may be true for loss at the lower HF range, it is not the
> case in the upper HF/Low VHF and UHF range.  RG-6 will show from 1 to
> 5 dB more loss depending on frequency.  In addition, RG-6 will not
> handle the same power levels as good quality RG-213 at any frequency.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV

Since this is the Topband reflector and a 160M inverted L is the subject
then RG-6 is fine. Ive been using about 100' of it for about 13 years to
feed an 80M sloper and there hasnt been any problem at 1200W SSB/CW and some
1200W PEP on AM the past few years even into moderate VSWR.

For the antenna under discussion a 10 to 13A open frame relay can be used to
switch a coil in and out by running the 12 or 24VDC control voltage thru the
coax. There are examples in handbooks, antenna manuals or see the Ameritron
RCS-4 schematic for what is needed.
You could even get creative and select several band segments, all having low
VSWR.

Carl
KM1H