Re: Topband: Zero Beat

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Zero Beat
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 19:58:07 -0500
Hi,

I just got home from my first Santa gig of the season. After I sent my
last post I got to wondering how many hams have their main focus in
areas other than the technical aspects of amateur radio and might not be
familiar with all of the concepts involved. Some other comments in the
threads point in that same direction. I know that when I studied for my
licenses (a commercial license, too) I had to learn about things I had
and still have no intention ever using. For instance...I am NOT going to
build a two meter FM repeater - ever. Once in a while I use one and I
have some vague notion about how it might have been built. It's only
fair that other hams have their "weaker" areas, too. Some hams seem to
really not know what zero beat is at all.

There seems to be a renewed interest in CW operating so a new "primer"
regarding "zero beat" might be appropriate. I have started gathering
information and verifying some pieces with the aim of making that
document. I would like to call on some of the ham community who seem
pretty easily familiar to help by reviewing and suggesting changes or
contributing additional material. If you're willing to help, please
contact me off list.

73,

Bill  KU8H

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK