Re: Topband: ARRL 160M Test Comments

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <topband@contesting.com>, <k1zm@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160M Test Comments
From: "Jeff Blaine" <jeff@ac0c.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 20:15:43 -0600
>From a rookie and micro-pistol perspective, I don't understand the
>sit-this-out thought process.

The flavour of the comments seems to be distilled as - the rules make it so we
(west coast) cannot realistically win - so we may as
well not come and play.  Huh?

There are a lot of contests that favour by geography the east coast.  Yet are
strongly participated in by the west.  And a guy
operating from the right part of PJ or VE land has a HUGE geographic advantage
to guys a few miles over the border, depending on the
contest.

Out here in the middle of the country, in the RF dead zone, I don't have much
DX at my fingertips although the fantastic ears of
FM5CD did manage to hear me Saturday.  And having antennas in the functional,
but otherwise pathetic category, I've got zero chance
of winning this or any other 160m contest.

Despite this, I do have a hell of a lot of fun participating though.  And hope
that my KS QSO was of help to some guy who may have a
shot.  Good for them.

It did seem to me that the 6-land stations who were on last weekend were
popular guys indeed.  A lot more in demand than KS.

One side effect of the lack of west participants seems to be pile ups on the
ones that do participate.  Sort of like the one WMA guy
who had 'em stacked up a mile deep and 2 Khz wide.  While a 6 won't win this
contest, I don't know how many would be sending
unanswered CQs.

73, Jeff ACØC
www.ac0c.com