Re: Topband: T-200 vs. T-300

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: T-200 vs. T-300
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:49:31 -0500
> "A couple rules for toroidal inductors might be useful. To increase the
> reactance you increase the number of turns -- the inductance goes up
> approximately the square of the number of turns. To increase the power
> handling capability you add additional cores to make a stack of cores.
> This will also help with the inductance since the toroid core AL value is
> affected by the cross sectional area of the core."

Another important rule when winding CM chokes:  On common-mode currents (the
bad current), an inductance equal to 2*L is added in series with each of the
two conductors.  On differential mode currents (the good current), L cancels
and has no effect.  Ever wonder why we can keep adding so much L in CM choke
windings and it does not appreciably degrade differential-mode current and
frequency response?

Paul, W9AC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK