Topband: More Stew Perry Misadventures!

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: More Stew Perry Misadventures!
From: "n2kw@juno.com" <n2kw@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 17:06:10 GMT
As my friend Josh (6Y5WJ) would say ....
"If you're going to be in a horse-race, you might as well ride a Thoroughbred"
There is no room at my NYC location for LF antennas.  Radials are out too.  I'm
lucky to be able to have dipoles on the roof.  But I am on the multioperator
team at K1TTT, and Dave is gracious enough to make his station available to his
operators for "minor" contests.
I drove 4 hours on Wednesday to get here, and had a QSO with Bill, K4LTA on
Thursday.  He was dumbfounded that I here, but not entering the RAC Winter
event.  After we signed, I thought about it, and decided to spend a few hours
in the RAC Contest, just to show my support.  You can guess the rest!  I
operated RAC until 2200 GMT on Friday, and started the TBDC without rest.  I am
amazed by the energy I get from radio, because I am 65 years old, and should be
"winding down" now .....but I am more avid than I ever was, and I've been a ham
for 50 years!
I did get to nap for 90 minutes after European sunrise, but then it was back to
the chair for some "good to the last drop" action on 160.
Wednesday and Thursday night were both noisy on Top Band.  I was afraid that
I'd be listening to rain static for Stew as well, but fortunately, the band was
relatively quiet over the weekend.  Signals were down, but you can't have
EVERYTHING.
If you have AA2A in your log, it was me with my QSD.  Now you understand why.
I only ran 100 watts, but I had a full gallon of fun.  Thank you all......
Allen - N2KW
53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4eee1df169f11d3554bst06duc
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK