Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 108, Issue 80

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 108, Issue 80
From: wa3mej@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 01:33:15 +0000 (UTC)

Tom,

I have been w atching the spotting networks lately.   I think much of the
problem is that many stations now use directional antennas what with all the
Flag, Pennant and K9AY antennas now being used for receive. If we turn these in
directions that promote local contacts instead of DX contacts because we think
the conditions (or in my case noise) are poor we may miss contacts from DX
locations.  I know I have heard stations from EU being called from east coast
stations and the EU station never called back.  Finally when one of the big
guns got involved with their high power stations and directoinal antennas
contact was made but the EU stations only worked a small fraction of those
calling.  I am sure this also works in reverse..  As my mentor WA3BGT (SK) once
told me ya gotta hear' em to work'em... but if we are not listening for them we
will never hear them.

I listen every night for at least a little while and sure there are nights when
nothing comes in, but there are just as many when EU stations are heard.

Bottom line Listen first transmit second.

Jim WA3MEJ

Message: 7