Topband: 160 meters

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 160 meters
From: John Harden <jhdmd@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 11:32:21 -0500
This comes from the W8JI website........

> Be sure all connectors and hardware are tight, and connections are dry
> and well-insulated. Normal UHF connectors, even though rated less,
> handle much more power than type N connectors. UHF connectors are much
> less likely to develop intermittent connections, and actually have
> LESS loss below 50MHz. The only potential drawback for HF use is UHF
> connectors are less water resistant than properly installed N
> connectors. Waterproofing can be cured with proper waterproofing.

Also from a recent posting.....

> 160 Meters is a world all to its own. Things will happen to your station that
> would never happens at any other band.

On 160 meters I have gone to Amphenol type HN connectors after seeing
SO-239 and regular "N" connectors fail. The shunt wire cage on my
100 foot 45 tower is relatively short due to stacked monobanders down to
around 35 feet. Due to this and other factors very high voltages are
present at the 160 tuning box at the coaxial line termination.

Type HN connectors are very robost and work very well:

http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/hn.asp?N=0&sid=4EFFA2006B44E17F&;

73,

John W4NU

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK