Re: Topband: CONNECTORS AND CABLE

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: CONNECTORS AND CABLE
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 09:56:16 -0800
On 1/3/2012 7:06 AM, Andrey Fedorishchev wrote:
> Cheap RG6, the one with CCS center conductor, sometimes shows quiet high
> losses (few db per 300ft.) at 1-5 mhz and at the same time quiet low at
> higher frequencies;
>
> Not only the losses but signal leakage is important and not every brand of
> RG213 or RG6 is suitable at some instalations;

Yes on both counts. I've written a Q&A style tutorial about coax that
addresses these issues, and a lot more.
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/Coax-Stubs.pdf

Another point -- some of us DO have long runs to our antennas, so losses
can be significant. I have two runs to TX antennas that are 350 ft and
two for 160M that are 280 ft.  My neighbor, K6XX, has some runs that are
nearly 1,000 ft, for which he's using parallel runs of hard line.

73, Jim K9YC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK