Re: Topband: MFJ Noise Canceller 1026/1025

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: MFJ Noise Canceller 1026/1025
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 07:01:13 -0500
> I wouldn't worry about an S-unit of noise increase, especially on 160.
>
> That's bound to happen with any active device like the MFJ-1025; and with
> the normal BG noise level on 160, I don't think it'll keep you from hearing
> anything.

Many of the DX stations I have worked for "new ones" would have been
totally inaudible if my noise floor had been an S-unit higher.

Both my present and former MFJ-1026 units had the high noise floor.
As noted in my post about filters and IMD yesterday, the solution is
to use a preamp ahead of the noise canceller. You need to feed it
high enough level from the antenna such that you hear/see no
increase in noise when the unit is engaged.

73,
Paul N1BUG
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK