Re: Topband: BCI chase update

To: "'N1BUG'" <paul@n1bug.com>, "'Topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: BCI chase update
From: "Tim Duffy K3LR" <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 12:08:32 -0600
Hi Paul:

I have tried and tested many commercial and homebrew preamps for use on the
TopBand (including those you talk about below). Although all of the preamps
work - some work better than others.

The W8JI design (that DX Engineering sells) has the best noise figure and
overload handling capability of any that were measured. The highest
performance from this preamp is achieved with a 18 VDC power source. I use
this pre amp exclusively with my TopBand RX antennas.

http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.asp?ID=210&PLID=107&SecID=32&DeptID=12&Pa
rtNo=DXE-RPA-1

A you mention in your paragraph 3 - To protect front ends - the KD9SV front
end saver works very well. It does exactly what you described in a nice neat
box.

http://johnjeanantiqueradio.com/gary.htm

73!
Tim K3LR