Re: Topband: Preventing QRM

To: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: Preventing QRM
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 15:25:58 -0500
On Tue, 2012-01-10 at 14:42 -0500, Eddy Swynar wrote:
> On 2012-01-10, at 1:43 PM, kd6nrp@earthlink.net wrote:
>
> > I run the risk of calling CQ on what appears to be a clear frequency and
> > QRMing a DX station calling CQ or disrupting an ongoing QSO. Any
> > suggestions on how to prevent?
> >

> Hi Brian,
>
> Simply follow accepted protocol, i.e.:
>
> ---LISTEN on & about your frequency of choice for a minute, or two, for any
> signs of activity;
>
> ---Send "QRL?" once, listen, then send "QRL?" again, & listen once more, and
> finally,
>
> ---If you hear nothing back---like "R", "QRL", "QSY",  "DX HR", or "U
> LID"(!), then it's a safe bet to go ahead & make a a short initial CQ, say, a
> 3x3 call. If you get no responses from anyone, anywhere, go ahead & make a
> 3x3 call, twice if you feel it's necessary...
>
> If anyone gets on the frequency after you've gone through this process & they
> chastise you, shame on them...and it does happen legitimately on occasion,
> too, as guys get all fired-up & distracted by the possibility of working some
> DX station somewhere, via split mode right on top of you!
>
> But it's all part of the game...welcome to Topband!
>
> ~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

Hi,

Everybody knows what QRM, QRN, QSB mean...those are NOT obscure Q
signals. That's because they are with us ALL the time. We do the best we
can to accommodate everybody else and fit ouir signals into the space
available. Sometimes there are collisions. We adjust and keep going.

73,

Bill  KU8H

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK