Topband: more fun with the Ranger

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: more fun with the Ranger
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 06:06:43 -0500
Hi Everybody,

I have made some more progress with my Johnson Ranger. I already was
using it on 160 and 80 meters with an end fed wire. The 40 meter VFO was
far too unstable to even think of using it on the higher frequencies. I
tried some quick fix measure but they didn't help. I tore it apart and
found that screws I thought were there were not, screws I thought were
missing were there but 'impossible' to see, and many had worked loose
over 50 years or so. A lot of the loose screws, nuts, and bolts are
needed for ground points! I still have some thermal drift with the VFO
running on 40 meters but none at all on 160 (and 80). I'm going to move
that hot dropping resistor outside the VFO cage during my next attack. I
have ordered some spare 6CL6 tubes as I have a few "funny" things
happening during tuneup. The drive pot is also suspect and I'll put the
solid state mod in to banish that demon. Meanwhile The Ranger is back
together and I'll have it back online for 160 and 80 later today. It has
all the screws and nuts in place for the first time in many years and
maybe since it was new. The fellow who had it before me had the same
complaints about the VFO on 40 meters and he had it from 1962 until
about 1983 when I got it from him. My ranger is getting mo' bettah each
time I work on it.

I have been able to (barely) hear European DX on Top Band with my low
wire. A slight improvement anywhere on the receive side would work
wonders for my station. I am sure I can improve the receiver. The
ricebox cannot hear the European stations and the Ten Tec receiver can
(barely). The Ten Tec is NOT the best radio ever built in Tennessee. I
am already rounding up materials to try a K9AY loop. If I get anything
like the results others are reporting I should be doing much better. I
am taking target practice with fishing rod and reel so I can get lines
up over the trees and put my wire *UP* where it can work. All of the
above will take a little time but I'll just do the best I can in the
meantime. Right now everything is cold, icy, and snow covered. Perfect
weather for antenna work! I need to get it done before nice weather sets
in to ruin the antennas.

73,

Bill  KU8H

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK