Re: Topband: Where to place a preamp? Switching Beverages?

To: <n4zr@contesting.com>, <Topband@contesting.com>, "Don Kirk" <wd8dsb@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Where to place a preamp? Switching Beverages?
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 13:15:36 -0500
From: "Don Kirk" <wd8dsb@aol.com>
To: <n4zr@contesting.com>; <Topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 12:08 PM

> --------------------
> N4ZR said : I have a 20 dB ARR preamp", "My choice is whether to put it at
> the antenna end, incurring the added complexity of sending 12V DC to it
> via the coax, or to put it in the shack."
> --------------------
>
> Per the ON4UN book, "In most cases you can put the preamplifier in the
> shack.  The signal loss in the feed line is a loss that affects both the
> signal and external noise.  That means that the loss in the feedline does
> not affect the S/N ratio."

That is a very misleading statement typical of all revisions and corrections
to that book.

Any loss before the first active device will degrade the MDS, noise figure,
SNR, or whatever else you wish to call it.

A low NF preamp with sufficient gain will overcome the feedline loss as well
as the radios front end noise resulting in a better SYSTEM noise figure,
MDS, SNR, etc.

While the 350' feed of the OP should have a minimal loss of about .8dB at 2
MHz and an in shack preamp would be sufficient 99.9% of the time others with
more loss should do the calculations to determine the cost/benefit of both
settings.

Carl
KM1H

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK