Re: Topband: Looking for a few Last states on 160m

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Looking for a few Last states on 160m
From: Steven Raas <sjraas@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 15:06:39 -0500
Jim,

Well said.. and here is yet another reason to use LoTW:

*Jan 24, 2012: LoTW to Support CQ Awards* -- Work is underway at HQ to
support CQ operating awards.  First up will be the WPX award, with its
thousands of prefixes and long history.  The WPX
award<http://cq-amateur-radio.com/cq_awards/cq_wpx_awards/cq_wpx_awards.html>,
managed by Steve Bolia, N8BJQ,  is one that can be pursued by anyone with
any size station.  Read more about the
agreement<http://www.arrl.org/news/logbook-of-the-world-to-now-support-cq-awards>
with
CQ. Thanks for using LoTW.

This is now posted on both the LoTW Main page and the CQ news blog.

73's

-Steve Raas
N2JDQ

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>wrote:

> On 1/24/2012 5:08 AM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:
> > I have 49 confirmed in LOTW on 160 mts. I want Utah confirmed in LOTW
> > because it´s easy for me to get WAS without shipping QSL´s that maybe
> will be lost.
>
> This is a major consideration for me too. When I see cluster spots for a
> country or state that I need, I am far more likely to respond to a
> station that uses LOTW.  I'm still waiting five years for a paper card
> from New Caledonia.
>
> As old timers in ham radio, we were :"early adopters" of new
> technologies in our youth. Why should we not continue that as we age?  I
> certainly have tried to do so. At age 40, I started getting seriously
> involved with learning computers, and using them in my business. To do
> that, I had to learn operating systems, networking, and at least a dozen
> software programs.. At age 40-45, I was also learning new FFT-based
> audio measurement systems, and studying acoustics. At age 62, I started
> computer logging, and two years later, signed up with LOTW, and started
> using PSK and RTTY.  Around that time, I also began what became an
> extensive study of RFI, as well as the nature and use of ferrite chokes
> to address it. Around age 68, I began pushing myself to learn SO2R
> contesting, which brought on more new stuff to learn, and further
> exercise of my brain.
>
> As the old saying goes, "use it or lose it."  LOTW and eQSL are easy to
> learn to use, especially if you use decent logging software.  Mailing
> and handling paper QSLs gets more expensive all the time, and I see more
> and more posts from stations complaining about green stamps being stolen
> from their mail (or even the mail itself disappearing). LOTW and eQSL
> are the obvious solution. In the past two days, I've worked VP6T on six
> bands so far. All but the last (160M) were already confirmed on LOTW by
> the time I worked them on 160 last night.  AA7JV set the standard for
> that with his most recent trips, and several DX trips have followed his
> lead.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK