Re: Topband: Solar Activity & Topband

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Solar Activity & Topband
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 13:24:40 -0500
> Well, maybe they have been good at your QTH.  Here, the conditions to
> Europe have been the worst in recent memory.  Just fleeting peeps of Europe
> barely working through. Only honestly R5 signals were from Portugal.  One G
> was R4, and the rest, what few of them there were, were R3.  73, Guy (Apex,
> NC)

I'm far from a propagation expert but my observation: 160 inside NA was working
real good in the NAQCC QRP 160M sprint and last night too. (Side note on the
NAQCC 160: I had never thought of 160 as a QRP band before but the best ops
really shone through that night.)

HK0NA has been coming in just fine here on the east coast on 160M many evenings
the past week. A neighbor told me he got Pitcairn on 160M (I missed them
somehow)

None of the above require polar paths.

But last night the only euro DX I worked was southern Europe (like Guy
mentioned), and I only barely heard the peeps of the northern euro powerhouse
stations, stations that when conditions are good I could probably receive just
fine using just a few feet of wire hanging out the back of the radio or maybe
just my tooth fillings Gilligan-style.

My guess (ready to stand corrected, and learn as a result!): Solar activity has
disrupted the 160M polar paths but not so much others.

Tim N3QE
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK