Re: Topband: Radials help

To: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Radials help
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:09:53 -0500
On 2012-02-10, at 1:52 PM, Guy Olinger K2AV wrote:

> It's not to not try anything.  It's to try something that you know will work,
> once you *know* what you have to work with.  The ARRL and ON4UN material
> presume uniformity.  That, unfortunately, is only true where it's true, and
> it's not true often enough.

Hi Guy,

I thought that was exactly what I was doing here at my QTH, i.e. not NOT trying
"anything", but at least doing "something".

Far too many words of advice / "tribal knowledge" that I've seen over the years
in the matter of radial fields amounted to simply "...lay down as many wires as
you can. PERIOD." That's neither enlightening, nor encouraging. The guidelines
presented in the ARRL's & John's book, flawed though they may be when presented
with an imperfect world, at least offer a place to start, in the absence of
knowing exactly what might lie immediately below one's sod...

I guess one can analyze some things to death. There are trade-offs between
"qualitative" realities vs. "quantitative" ones---that's just a fact of life!

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK