Re: Topband: Proper Decorum On The "Gentleman's Band"...

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Proper Decorum On The "Gentleman's Band"...
From: Jeff Woods <jmwooods@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 16:40:36 -0800 (PST)
We have a winner....

I have noticed this correlation with cluster spots and unsportsmanlike conduct
as well:

In the CQ160 contest last month, EA5RS was calling CQ.  I found him on a
routine sweep of the band.  Perhaps 3 other stations and I were calling him; he
wasn't hearing well.  At some point a considerate op sent out a QRL? nearby,
close enough to pass through my 200hz filter.  I sent R DX and he ceased
transmitting.  On the next go-round with the EA, I sent his full call in case
anyone else thought the frequency was clear.  Within 30 seconds, an unruly
pile-up commenced.  After several minutes of nearly continuous calling by ops
who clearly could not hear him, the EA went silent.

About 5 minutes later I found him again, 5 KHz down the band.  This time I
refrained from sending his call.  Never did work him, but at least some North
American hams were able to.  He was the same signal strength or better, yet no
pile-up this time.

On the other hand, there were many instances of great operating discipline
heard last weekend.  The Maritnique op (Forget the call, FM5-something) had a
particularly well-behaved pile-up.  If he sent a partial call, everyone else
stayed silent until the QSO was finished or a QRZ? was issued.  It was a thing
of beauty.  This was the norm, rather than the exception.

Top Band may be getting worse, but it's still a rather nice neighborhood
relative to many other bands.

73
Jeff, W0ODS

>So, in these times of "I want it all at no effort", let's raise the bar.
>Create new thresholds, filters etc. at which only serious new ops will get
>through.
>
>Close all DX clusters for Topband; yeah hardly realstic, I know.
>But..
>Do not spot on the cluster anymore.
>
>73 Mark, PA5MW

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK