Re: Topband: Proper Decorum On The "Gentleman's Band"...

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>, Toband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Proper Decorum On The "Gentleman's Band"...
From: Tod Olson <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 00:30:52 -0600
A trivial point in this discussion, but of some consequence in assessment
of data, the average is almost always NOT the 50% point of a population.
The Median is the midpoint -- that is 50% of the population is above and
50% below the Median.

The Average [or Mean] for a population is very dependent on the
distribution of the elements of the population. It is entirely possible
that 1% of a population could be above the Mean value [above average] and
99% below <some members of the 1% will be incredibly greater than the Mean
value for that to be true.. In rectangular and Gaussian distributions the
Mean and the Median can be expected to have the same value. But most other
distributions will have the Mean above or below the Median value.

Tod, K0TO

On 2/10/12 5:26 PM, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com> wrote:

> > On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM, Jim F.<j_fitton@yahoo.com>  wrote:
> >
> >> A smart engineer I used to work with at Western Electric said:
> >> (paraphrasing)
> >>
> >> Most of the people on this earth are below average.
>
>In truth, exactly 50% of the people on this earth are below average -
>not most.  Still that's a sobering thought for anyone who expects
>average and bases expectations on average.
>
>73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK