Re: Topband: LOTW

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: LOTW
From: Jeff Woods <jmwooods@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 15:28:34 -0800 (PST)
Joe,

I don't call that process simple.  My beef with LoTW is that it's needlessly
complicated to use.  In my opinion, the ARRL spent far too much time on
security and too little time on user-friendliness.  One should never need to
look up instructions to use a well-designed interface.

What's a "*.p 12" file?  A tq3 or tq8 or tq5 file?  Why do I need to know these
things?

Check the E-qsl interface for something simple.  It's straightforward, and
presents information that you need to run it on the relevant page.  I didn't
have to wade through any tutorial or instructions to use it.  I can log in on
my work PC and upload logs without installing *anything* on that machine.
That's a big deal for those of us who spend far more hours at work than in the
shack.

LoTW is not horrible - most of us can muddle through it.  Every time I use it
though, I can't help but think of how it works more like a fully functional
Beta version than a final release.

-Jeff

>________________________________

 incorrectly, that it would be difficult to set up and use.   Just last week, I
finally got up the nerve to try it.  Much to my pleasant surprise, LOTW was
very easy to set up.   So, using myself as a sample of one, and extrapolating
from there, I believe many folks have not tried LOTW because they have the same
concern I did....

>>> The many other reasons have be noted....
>>>
>>> 73,
>>>
>>> Bob/AA6VB
>>> UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK
>> UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK