Re: Topband: EIRP Measurement

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: EIRP Measurement
From: W2XJ <w2xj@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 11:49:22 -0500
Ahh but I think the FCC will see things much differently. I base this on
the existing 60M regs where an ERP is specified:

(i) No station may transmit with an effective radiated power (ERP)
exceed- ing 50 W PEP on the 60 m band. For the purpose of computing ERP,
the trans- mitter PEP will be multiplied by the antenna gain relative to
a dipole or the equivalent calculation in decibels. A half-wave dipole
antenna will be pre- sumed to have a gain of 1. Licensees using other
antennas must maintain in their station records either the an- tenna
manufacturer data on the an- tenna gain or calculations of the an- tenna
gain.

This can give a pretty good indication of how the FCC thinks. I think
600M installations might be allowed to assume a certain amount of losses
and a means to measure power into the radiating element. They will not
create a regulatory nightmare. Notice in the case of 60M the feedline is
not considered. Any losses their are at the amateur's expense. The same
will likely be the case for 600 M ground loss. There are possibly a
handful of amateurs in the world that will be able to install a full
ground system and will gain an advantage but the rest will just have to
be as clever as possible in reducing losses.

The height of the tower is not that important as the radiation pattern
does not change from 1/4 wave for a short element. What does happen is a
dramatically lower resistance resulting in higher losses. Matching
systems losses are unimportant since they would precede the point of
measurement. One would expect transmitter powers of at least 100 to 200
watts in order to achieve to EIRP limit.

Many broadcasters would gladly operate with much shorter towers and less
ground if the FCC would allow. But the FCC is and always has been all
about what makes it easier for them to administrate.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK