Topband: Deterring Critters

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Deterring Critters
From: "Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 17:42:34 -0700
Special thanks to Paul, Bill and Merv for the telephone company wire
observations. Looks like the telephone company solved this problem years
ago.

If we could purchase Coax cable and other smaller wires with the HDPE
covering,  life could be easier.   (Also less costly)  The 1000 foot roll of
telephone cable is worth considering, for now.

73
Bruce-K1FZ

while clearing part of this 30 acres I ran across a long length of
 telco drop line that had been laying here since the 1980s,  it was intact
 and in fine shape,  no chew marks,  (AWG)

 configurations which is "Bell System Type" spec #4283. It lists it as
 30% copper CCS wire with a HDPE jacket. Tough stuff. I'm looking in my
 General Cable catalog and it shows the minimum length as 1,000 feet so
 it isn't unrealistic to order this stuff if you have a lot of runs to
 put in.

it might be worth calling the local telco
 service yard to see if you can get their old scraps if you want to keep
 it cheap.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK