Topband: 'the old ways...'

To: topband list <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 'the old ways...'
From: Dan Edward Dba East edwards <dan.n.edwards@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 08:21:49 -0700 (PDT)
whatever happened to the 'old way' of measuring ground loss?

back in the 80's we would look up the predicted impedance from LaPort,
then measure it as accurately as possible with a General Radio 1606..and
figure the difference is 'ground loss'...

today, with better software ( EZNEC5 ), we can model our antennas over 'perfect
ground', and with better hardware ( i like my VNWA2 ), measure with some
confidence of reasonable accuracy. and again, figure the difference is 'ground
loss'...

this at least gives you a clue what is happening, beyond 'just put out as
many radials as you can, as long as you can make them'....in my case, with
scant available real estate for radials, i come up with about 6 ohms of ground
loss...

respectfully submitted...tell me why this is 'wrong'....73 w5xz, dan
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK