Re: Topband: Using Video Baluns on 160.

To: <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Using Video Baluns on 160.
From: "ZR" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 20:31:39 -0400
A couple of things:

What is the conductor size in CAT5 and what is the center to center spacing.
With that its easy to calculate Z.

Since those TV baluns share a common ground they are likely not transformers
and more likely a simple 4:1 autotransformer making it useless for common
mode.

The 90's ones Ive run on a VNA barely make 7MHz on a good day and most
become a piece of wire by 5 MHz. I dont hold out much hope for improvement
for the basic TV version, others may be better or just cost more.

Its simple enough to wind a GOOD one using a BN73-202 with independent
windings using sleeves to further reduce coupling C. And also using seperate
grounds with at least 20-30' spacing. With a little care Ive measured 35dB
isolation on 160 and decreasing slightly as frequencies go up.

If there is any crud or signal pickup with the Beverage disconnected from
the transformer box you need more work on grounding and common mode
rejection. Or the coax integrity is compromised.

Carl
KM1H