Re: Topband: radial wire source

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: radial wire source
From: Eric Tichansky NO3M <no3m@no3m.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 12:38:57 -0400
Also check what might be available from the Wireman.  I picked up
a 5000 ft spool of twin-lead (#18?) from them a couple years ago
for $100.  It was a bit of a job splitting it, mainly from the
tendency to twist when pulling the insulation apart in the
middle.  However, cutting to the desired radial length and
connecting one end to a pulley w/ a pivot took care of that.
Having two people pulling it apart while walking out from center
also helps to keep tension on both wires and avoid it balling up
where it is splitting/twisting.  All said and done, 10000+ ft of
radials for about $0.01/ft and it's held up fine over the past
two years.

73 - Eric NO3M

On 06/05/12 12:18, Jim Brown wrote:
> I've used a lot of #14 THHN solid because it's cheaper than stranded,
> and find it no more difficult to work with than stranded wire.  I would
> love to use #18, but have not been able to find a  source for it in
> quantity.  Either Lowe's or Home Depot (don't recall which) orffers a
> quantity discount for something like six 500 ft spools.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK