Topband: Receiving loops

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Receiving loops
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 13:28:38 +0000
I want to try a new receiving antenna for the summer Stew Perry. Last winter
was my first foray onto 160M and I really felt like an alligator. I could work
everyone I could hear, with just 100W. I think that means I need a better
receive antenna. If you look at my score in the winter Stew Perry I think I did
great QSO-number wise, but my average distance was very poor, I'm guessing
typical alligator.

I have tried pennants and K9AY's over the winter with little success. Compared
to my transmitting antenna (A "T" with a poor radial system) most signals were
still better, S/N wise, on my transmitting antenna. I feel like I must've been
doing something wrong. Still the fact that a few signals came in on the loop
with by ear much better S/N, maybe I was on the right track and just didn't try
hard enough.

I will be trying a small tuned magnetic loop tonight (e.g. the last one at
http://www.w8ji.com/magnetic_receiving_loops.htm with the 9:1 transformer) .
And maybe a terminated beverage but I'm limited to about 150'... well maybe I
could run something longer down the driveway as long as I clean it up before
the sun comes up and the neighbors see.

I was fairly impressed with small tuned magnetic loops when I was doing some
BCB DX'ing several years ago. I wasn't comparing with beverages or anything.

Tim N3QE
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK