Re: Topband: Reducing Noise in the Shack

To: DAVID CUTHBERT <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Reducing Noise in the Shack
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 19:40:20 -0400
I'd take that question to the seller for an explanation.

The filter may be intended to quiet a particular noisy device, like a PC.
 It only needs to be rated for the current drawn if it's on the customer
side of the power outlet.  Otherwise all our lamps would have to have #12
zip cord, and all extension cords would have to be #12.   And fuses are not
required in extension cords or lamp cords clearly unsafe with an actual 15
or 20 amps on it.   73, Guy.

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 4:28 PM, DAVID CUTHBERT <telegrapher9@gmail.com>wrote:

> I don't like diff mode only filters because they have diff mode to common
> mode conversion due to component tolerance.
>
> I don't see a fuse in the NQN filter and it us rated for only 7 amps. To
> be used on a 20 amp circuit without an internal fuse it must be able to
> handle 20 amps. I assume it's not UL listed?
>
> Dave WX7G
> On Jun 21, 2012 1:07 PM, "Guy Olinger K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 2:59 PM, DAVID CUTHBERT
>> <telegrapher9@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> The W7NQN line filter is a differential-mode filter. You need a filter
>>> that
>>> is designed for common-mode filtering.
>>>
>>> Dave WX7G
>>

>> This is from the web page advertisement:
>> ---------
>> Compare this with a Brand "C" filter which only handles common-mode
>> interference problems.  The NQN AC power-line filters are optimized for
>> common-mode and differential-mode filtering and have about 3 times the
>> components of brand "C".
>> ---------
>>
>> Seems to specifically include common mode.
>>
>> See  http://arraysolutions.com/Products/nqnaclinefilter.htm
>>
>> 73, Guy.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK